Entity Framework issue on SaveChnages() of context
Recently while working with entity framework I faced this issue while updating the value of one of the tables in entity framework while I am allowed to use a select query on the same table,
Unable to update the EntitySet ‘TableName’ because it has a DefiningQuery and no <UpdateFunction> element exists in the <ModificationFunctionMapping> element to support the current operation.
After going through some of the resources I got to know there are different reasons because which you might face this problem those are listed below,
- An entity set is mapped from the database view
- Database table doesn’t have a primary key
The table doesn’t have the primary key treated as a view during the entity framework. The entity framework uses a class to define table/views and properties are used to refer to table/view columns. As we know insert and update are not allowed with only select is allowed.
1) Define the primary key for your table which will start considering it as a table instead of view as mentioned earlier but for some cases, you might already have a primary key for your table then you should follow another solution.
2) Make the changes in edmx file manually,
- Locate edmx file in the project
- Right-click on edmx file -> Open with -> XML editor
- Search DefiningQuery tag in your file -> Remove that tag entirely
- Change store: Schema=” Database name” to Schema=” Database name”
- Save the changes of edmx file.
After doing this you are allowed to insert or update the value in a table using EF.
Thank You, See you in the next article !!